Covered Losses in a Standard Homeowners’ Policy

This has been a record-breaking winter for the Susquehanna Valley. From snowfall amounts to frigid temperatures and sub-zero wind chill factors. We have had slick roads, high winds, and ice-laden trees, which have made for many calls inquiring about what is actually covered on a homeowner’s policy. When it comes to covered losses in a standard homeowners insurance policy, here’s what you need to know:

What is Covered by Standard Homeowners’ Insurance?

Your standard homeowner’s policy (Broad form) may cover the following list of perils:

  • Fire & Lightning
  • Windstorm & Hail
  • Explosion
  • Riot or Civil Commotion
  • Non-owned vehicles of Aircraft damage
  • Smoke
  • Vandalism
  • Theft (limited)
  • Glass breakage
  • Weight of ice, sleet, and snow
  • Collapse of building ( not settling damage)
  • Freezing of plumbing or heating system
  • Accidental leakage of plumbing or heating system

Important Considerations in the Event of a Loss

Here are a few points to remember in the event of a loss:

  • Your policy may cover the dwelling, other structures on the property, and your personal belongings
  • It is your responsibility to ensure that your property is maintained in a way to avoid loss
  • The loss is covered only if it is caused by one of the perils listed on your policy (see above for an idea of what this may include)
  • After a loss, you are responsible for taking measures to avoid any further loss
  • You are responsible for paying the deductible amount on your policy

Final decisions about whether a loss will be covered, and for how much, is ultimately the decision of a trained claims adjuster. This is also why it’s important to regularly review your insurance coverage to make sure you are properly insured before a loss occurs. There are many times to review your homeowners’ insurance. Doing so annually before your renewal date is a minimum.

Please note that the above information is not by any means all-inclusive but will hopefully help in determining if you did in fact experience any covered losses. There is additional coverage that can be added to your policy to increase your protection.

Call your agent right away when you’ve experienced a loss and we will do our best to walk you through the process. For help with your homeowner’s policy, call Ruhl Insurance at 717-665-2283 or 1-800-537-6880.

Disclaimer: Information and claims presented in this content are meant for informative, illustrative purposes and should not be considered legally binding.